Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wars We Didn't Start

The story of Gulliver’s travel tells a tale of a war that was started long before those who are fighting it were actually alive. When the circumstances that started the war are revealed, the war itself becomes trivial. 

My experience as a Christian has been much the same. While in an academic setting, I learned my theology not based upon unmitigated readings of the scriptures, but rather based on why liberals, Catholics, and main line denominations were wrong. 

I was trained to fight wars that I did not start against enemies that I did not know. This is why Bible Colleges and Seminaries are becoming irrelevant. In many ways, they are institutions where distinct theological characteristics are taught and the gaps between Christian sects are widened. 

The church continues to fight these theological wars with itself while the rest of the world moves on, and could care less. The world that desperately needs and desires Christ turns to his body, his bride, his ambassadors and sees the disunity among us, and they cannot believe that the Jesus we proclaim is a part of this bloody battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment