Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dear Teachers


Dear Teachers,

I know that you have a difficult job. I know that you take what you do seriously. I have a glimpse into your task vicariously through my wife, who is an educator as well. I would however, like to impart on you some insight that has deeply affected my life. I have many scars left by the lashes of verbal condescension or exclusionary methods of discipline that are fresh in my memory.  
I have many stories I could share, but this one stands out as a good, all encompassing example. When I was in third grade I was a part of an emotional/academic support group. There was six of us that would leave class at various times throughout the day for group counseling and assistance with our schoolwork. 

So permit me to just say that I was a handful for my teachers behaviorally. I would frustrate and enrage them on a consistent basis. One day, while my third grade teacher was explaining the processes of division, she paused and went around to each of the six of us special kids and asked:
“do you understand what I’m saying?”
All of us shook our heads that we did not, to which she responded:
“Stand Up! All of you!”
We stood up, and continued to stand there in front of the other twenty five kids in our class while our teacher slowly and condescendingly explained the processes to us. One by one my fellow special friends had an epiphany and said:
“now I get it”
And they got to sit down. 

Me? I was so raddled by being made to stand by myself that I literally felt like the room was spinning. I couldn’t think about anything but the humiliation that was burning within me. I remember trembling with a mixture of self hatred and disgust for being so stupid. Her deployment of the Socratic method broke this small boy on that day. 

She turned to me and became angered in her explanation of the subject matter. I looked down in shame, then I looked around at my classmates. All of them shared a look of disgust that brought me to the breaking point.
I began to cry, to which she exclaimed:
“Don’t you dare sit down!”
Miraculously, what she was explaining came to me, and I exclaimed:

“Ohhhhh!”
I was permitted to sit down, and the class continued. 

I wish I could say that as I’m doing graduate work and I’m feeling uninspired I look back with fondness on memories of people telling me:
“You can be whatever you want to be Ryan, you are bound by nothing.”
More often than not, when I am discouraged, when I am feeling inadequate and small, tired, embarrassed and ashamed of my inability for retention, my mind goes to memories like these. When I relive these memories, my motivation becomes spite. My inspiration becomes an all consuming hatred in which I shout into those memories at those that would belittle me:
“FUCK YOU! Fuck - you! You’re a goddamn liar! You fucking lied to me and I will prove you wrong!”
And with this, whereas my eyes were slowly closing with sleep I become alert and keen. I know that this source of motivation is much like the hot sun. It can only burn for so long before it burns out and becomes a black hole which destroys not only itself but the galaxy around it. 

Before I begin my PhD I would prefer to be inspired by those that love and encourage me, but sadly their love is masked by the sting that was left so long ago. 

So, dear teachers, please consider that you hold the hearts of your students in your hands. Please consider that the small child who disrupts your classroom may be desperately crying out for someone to love them. I have learned, both through my own childhood memories and through my work with at risk children; that the smallest act of care, compassion, and love can still the most desperate of hearts in a child.  

7 comments:

  1. For any who are put off by my un-Christlike feelings in this matter I do not contest your assessment. Being the stronger person, I would ask that you go before God on my behalf and ask him to heal this deep wound.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to the little boy in you that was, and is still, so deeply hurt! I am and have been an educator and it's a tough, tough position to be in, *because* we hold the hearts of children in our hands. It's such a huge responsibility and it is so easy to get it wrong. It is by no means an excuse for bad behavior, but my heart goes out to the teacher too.

    Praying you find healing for this wound and any others that may still be hurting. (I have some of my own!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I had a similar situation happen to me where an algebra teacher embarrassed me in front of the classroom. I went to him for help and he asked if I was taking notes, to which I said, "Yes." Then, he asked me in front of the class, "Are you just stupid then?" I was truly trying my best and just did not understand the material. It just did not connect in my brain. We all think in different ways and with different patterns. In both situations, the fact is that the teachers were just wrong in their choices. I don't know if events in their lives were making them project onto students. In schools campaigning against bullying, they become examples of the behaviors they are trying to eliminate in children. I think that these are examples of emotional stress, coupled with teaching techniques gone horribly wrong. When I took classes in college toward my education degree, we were told to use a technique where they call students out in order to "encourage participation." In fact, I just watched a video toward my Act 48 credits that suggested the same technique. If a student is afraid of being embarrassed by their peers, they will pay attention more so that they will know the answer when called upon. However, that kind of forced understanding actually has the reverse effect on people with anxiety and behavior disorders. It causes us to "freeze" and our minds create a mental wall that makes it impossible for us to truly focus on our thoughts and retrieve information. The anxiety dominates thought processes. Very much like stuttering, our ability to retrieve information starts to sputter and then we get so focused on the glitch that our minds just stall. Thankfully, there are advancements in the understanding of behavioral and emotional needs. Teachers are starting to learn more about these techniques in workshops and in-service training. It is not a perfect system yet, as we can attest to due to the barriers we have had with the school and our son. It seems that class size, lack of funding for aids, and an increase in inclusion without the supporting education has spiked anxiety in teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have experienced that anger and bitterness as well. Wanting to advance and achieve just to shove the middle finger in the face of all those who doubted us. But, the truth is, regardless of the reasons these teachers have for belittling us, it is our own thoughts that create this lingering effect. It is how we perceive the situation that encourages us to hold on to them. Instead of thinking that the teacher was out to hurt you and ruin your life, remember that a teacher who is so easily frustrated with children really does not belong in that field. That was a really good example of how not to be a teacher. And that has nothing to do with you. They chose the wrong profession and probably suffered a life of continued anxiety and misery because of it. Gosh, if children stressed them out and they dealt with it their entire career, I am sure that tortured them. Also, consider that the teacher was dealing with some serious emotional instability in their life and, unfortunately, projected it onto her students. In this case, the school district should have followed protocol for reprimanding the teacher. Fortunately, parents have more rights in regard to their children’s education now. If this kind of situation would happen to my son, there would be a meeting between the principal and the teacher. Enough negative feedback and it will be dealt with.

    I am not sure if you have a diagnosis, but I have ADHD, generalized anxiety disorder, and a panic disorder. We are talking an extreme amount of anxiety! I have found it helpful to use what is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to help deal with the toxic, negative thoughts that seem debilitating or hinder future growth. How we perceive events really does determine our emotional outcome. There is a free course online at http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome and it has been very helpful in determining the origin of my toxic thoughts and helps me become more aware of how they start and how to ask the right questions in order to dilute them. I’m not really aligned with any of the personality profiles they provide, but the information is still very helpful. It is not meant to “brainwash,” but to provide a different perspective. I wouldn’t use the course if I felt it went against my own beliefs-I’m too strong willed for that. I just needed some help and got tired of the whole, “If you trusted in God you would not be anxious.” Yes, well, that same God made me who I am and I have a heighted ability to produce adrenaline. Do I pray for guidance and healing? Absolutely! But, I know that I also need help from those who have studied and understand emotions. There is no shame in that. I just wanted to offer help to deal with these thoughts. It is horrible that the teacher scarred you with such a negative experience. I just wanted to offer help in dealing with the emotions these events cause. Just know that no matter how you were treated in the past, there are people who respect, love, and encourage you now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acacia,
    When I read your contributions to my posts I know that you "get it", and for that I am incredibly grateful. Your analysis of anxiety which causes a sort of stuttering in the brain makes perfect sense to me. I'm convinced that this is why I cannot do math... I have multiple memories of discouragement in that area and now have "math anxiety". As soon as I stall out on something mathematical I get pissed and anxious. For some reason my ability for thinking abstractly and philosophically about things was nurtured, and this is where I have excelled. Please, please remind me once more in the month of August to look at the resource you mentioned. My schedule is completely booked until then, but I have a short break from school and would like to take a look at it. Your honesty and vulnerability helps me greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diamonds,
    I know that as an educator you take seriously your responsibilities. I can tell from your blog that you are a person of compassion, and probably an amazing teacher.
    Thanks for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your sweet comment, Ryan! I have been told that I am a "good" teacher, but I have such a low tolerance for "the system" that I find I can't stomach the classroom, even though I really do love the kids. I've finally figured that out, and it has been liberating (for the longest time I felt guilty about it). There are many other ways to influence a child's life without all that bureaucracy.

    Hmmm...sounds like how I feel about church.

    Thanks for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete