Friday, July 8, 2011

Tim Koller - A Great Friend and Theologian

Tim and I both attended Lancaster Bible College, but only discovered our kinship in our last few months there. The connection that we had defied language at the time, but now, years later I’ve found the words to describe the bond that we share. 

Tim and I are both committed Christians. That is, we are both committed to Jesus Christ. We both have obtained a theological education, and we both are in the process of continuing that education. When Tim and I engage in conversation there is rarely anything theologically abstract, ideological, or conceptual to be found. 

Theology for Tim and I is not a concept, it is the salve that alleviates our wounds. It is not an abstract idea, it is life and death and eternity. It is not a competition of who knows more; it is about seeking Christ with desperation because He is urgently needed.  The Gospel for Tim and I is not a “formula, recipe, or equation (Todd Mangum),” it is about the pursuit of life lived in obedience to Jesus. 

There are theologians who describe the Gospel in a similar way. Scott McKnight is one that comes to the forefront of my mind. McKnight speaks of the Gospel as moving in four directions of bringing peace (shalom). The Gospel moves us toward peace with God, others, the world, and ourselves. 

When I am with Tim, I feel this Gospel of peace at work. I will never be able to understand the difficulties my friend endured, and he will never be able to understand mine, but both of us understand enough to understand that we do not understand, nor can anyone else understand. We know what it is to understand being a child and having a shattered existence. We know what it is to live a life that is the opposite of shalom, that is the opposite of God’s intention, fullness and peace. Understanding what shalom is not helps us to have a firmer grasp on what shalom should be. It helps us to understand the work that must be done to achieve shalom, and we have an understanding of what that achievement costs.

When I am with Tim, I feel as though the Gospel is alive in that Christ is among us. In the sacred bond of simply being and knowing , I get the sense that Jesus’ hands are on us and restoration is taking place with God, others, the world, and ourselves. 

This causes us to start looking outside ourselves, to see who else needs restoring. This is why Tim is one of the most compassionate guys I know. Only one who understands that they do not understand can have the empathy required to enter what others are experiencing. 


That makes Tim Koller one of the best theologians I know. 

Tim, I do not have many friends, but I am glad to count you among the few. I love you brother. You’re going to be an amazing father, and you are an amazing disciple of Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. You can blame it on hormones if you want, but...this post made me cry. In a very good way. (Don't be alarmed!)
    I love who you are in Tim's life, and I also love that I get to spend time with you and your beautiful (in all kinds of ways) wife.

    ReplyDelete