Monday, July 4, 2011

Proud to be an American?

As an American, it would seem that my obligation to this country is to accept the earliest documents declaring our liberties as my creed, and the words from the mouths of the founders of this nation as my canon. But I tell you, such documents are not my creed, and such men do not have the privilege of canonization in my mind. Their works and their thoughts and their actions are not the infallible deeds of those I dare not question. 

For as the words “…all men are created equal” are being penned in Philadelphia by Thomas Jefferson, his slave beside him is placing sugar cubes in his tea. 

Is a man who denies the humanity of another and thus deprives him of his “unalienable rights” a good man? Is such a man my (fore)father? 

Yes, he is my forefather. Therefore, I say this not as one who wags a righteous finger, not as one who stands outside the gates as a stranger with critique, but as one born and bred from within; an American whose history and legacy is intricately connected to the foundation that was laid so long ago. 

Does my heart swell as I see our flag raised and hear our anthem sung? Yes. This pride however is met equally with the weight of responsibility that comes from our nation having not yet fully faced our acts of genocide, slavery, and systemic oppression. When I see fireworks, when I see jubilant intoxication, I am as equally saddened as I am proud.


 I will give thanks on this day for the freedom that I enjoy, but I will also mourn for those who were not and are not extended the same “freedoms”.

No comments:

Post a Comment