Thursday, February 10, 2011

I love it when a plan comes together

I've had a lot of lofty goals recently, and most of them I was convinced would not be realized. Today, I get the impression that those ambitions are not as far off as I once thought. Those ambitions were to...
  1. Go to Oxford University to get my PhD
  2. Come back to Lancaster and start an ecumenical seminary whereby students who otherwise would not have the opportunity (i.e. monetary funding) to receive a good theological education could attend this school and be trained up in a fashion that would permit them to enter leadership from whatever tradition they have come.
Here's what happened today that tells me these things might soon be a reality:
  1. I have recently cultivated a freindship with a man by the name of Father David. Father David spent a little bit of time studying at Cambridge, and has a slight English accent himself. I had the opportunity to share with him this vision within this small microcosm known as Lancaster city.
  2. This morning, I received a hand written letter from one of my favorite authors, John H. Armstrong, which stated that he remembered me, that he was praying for me, and that he wanted me to write something for his next book. This man has had a tremendous journey which began with him being friends with the likes of John MacArthur, to being invited to the Vatican for ecumenical collaboration with Evangelicals (needless to say, MacArthur dubbed this man a wolf in sheep's clothing). J.I. Packer is strong advocate of John's. John wants to Skype with me to further discuss some of the things he and I had briefly chatted about when we met in the classroom at Biblical Seminary a few weeks ago.
  3. Later in the day, I spoke with Father David once more. He said that he was so intrigued by my love of education that he spoke with several of his colleagues who were also enthused about the idea. Father David said that in two-five- or ten years, whenever I return to the area after leaving for my PhD, he would love to be a part of such an adventure. 
  4. Making ties with an English Priest, in an English church, will probably prove to be most helpful in the future for Amanda and I to make our way across the pond!
It is amazing how God can work a plan together. It's amazing how one day you can be so low and discouraged and overwhelmed, and the very next day see all of your hopes and aspirations begin to be realized. I hope that God is glorified in these details, and that the fruit of this labor might be all for his fame. He has given me a great deal of strength on this day. I sat in bed this morning for 45 minutes asking him to, and he has delivered.

"I praise Thee, O God of our Fathers, I hymn Thee, I bless Thee, I give thanks unto thee for Thy great and tender mercy. To Thee I flee, O merciful and mighty God."

No comments:

Post a Comment