Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Big Brother of the Year 2007 Nomination Statement

In 2007, I received the honor of Big Brother of year for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania through the Big Brothers Big Sisters program of Lancaster County. One of my coworkers told me today that she stumbled upon this little gem. This was the nomination statement I submitted at the request of the agency. I can remember that Cheri had called me and said, "We’d like to nominate you for Big Brother of the year. Could you write three short paragraphs to these three questions?"
At that time, I was in college, working a part time job, and was the associate pastor of a small church. It was finals season as well. I said "Sure, I'll see what I can do." A week went by and Cheri called me again while I was in the library studying.
"I need your response to those questions, Ryan. They need to be submitted today."
"Alright," I said, "You'll have it in 10 minutes."
So I sat down at the table and wrote the following.


After-School Program Big Brother Ryan McGinnis - Nominee for Big Brother of the Year



  • What motivated you to become a Big Brother?

            In answering this question, we must first ask another. What is the most valuable resource that you can give to someone? It is your time. It has been my experience growing up, that I would have rather had a father, than a comfortable life style. My parents were separated shortly after I was born, and while my father always paid his child support and helped my sister and I financially as much as he could, I wanted a dad, not financial security. I know that my story is not that much different from the majority of kids in America, but the implications for my parents decisions manifest itself throughout my life. There is a vacuum in our culture, an absence of strong male figures. While I make no claim that I myself am strong, I decided that I would do the work of pouring my life, and investing my time into someone and begin the process of relaying the foundation in someone else’s life. I wanted to be to a little brother, what I wished someone would have been for me.


  • What has your experience been like?

            This experience would be difficult to define, as there were so many personal high’s and low’s. There is a sense of sadness for me, in receiving the honor of a nomination, because I feel as if all I did was show up, and do what was required of me. Not that which was required by Big Brothers and Big Sisters, but what was required of me by my convictions. Christian (my Little) was my friend, and to say the least, he was a good friend. I am thankful that he allowed me to be a part of his story. That’s the joy that I have in this experience, the establishment of a good friendship, and the hope that through this friendship I might have made a difference in him.


  • What has been the high point in your relationship with your Little?

            The best time that I had with Christian, was his last day at Big Brothers and Big Sisters. He was moving, and so the leaders put together a celebration for Christian to say goodbye. We played tag, and Christian and I were the last people to be tug. As we stood there on base waiting to make our dash in avoidance of ten or so other bigs and littles, I ran and picked Christian up and sprinted across the gymnasium and avoided being tug. I got to pray for Christian before he left, and it surprised me what came out of my mouth. I was not so thankful at the thought of what I might have taught Christian, but I thanked God for all the things that he has taught me. That by doing this work, a work which is worth doing, I myself have changed greatly.


I would like to note that when I composed this I was very bitter toward my father. While the words that I wrote were not untrue, the sentiment towards my father has changed significantly since this time.
I still look back at this and cannot figure out how or why I recieved this honor. I do not say this with a false sense of self depricating humility, I say it because I do not think much of myself. Yet, somehow, someone else thought enough to nominate me, and someone else still thought enough to select me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment