Thursday, December 16, 2010

Why it feels like Christmas this year

For the first time in many years it truly feels like Christmas. I have peace and joy in my heart, and it is not solely because I spend the day listening to Christmas songs (although that does help). No matter how heavy a situation my job brings me into contact with, I feel the presence of God very close to me and to whoever is on the other line. No matter how much hopelessness and despair I hear, I sense that hope and healing and restoration is on its way.

I sense God at work all around me, and I draw near to him as I reflect on his shame:
God, in all of his inexpressible glory, became a child in Mary’s womb. God, in all of his transcendence, was born in a small town in Israel. God, in all of his power and might and authority, became a son to a poor carpenter betrothed to a virgin. God , in all of his eternality, experienced death upon a cross.

God made his dwelling among us, and he chose to love the poor and oppressed, the despised, the rejected, the unwanted and undesirable. 

God became a man and subjected himself to the shame of death on a cross. He was paraded and put on display in his agony and mocked. God most high, became flesh like us, and endured the cross… a scandal to his fellow Jews (for all who were hung on a tree were considered to be under the curse of God), and a sign of betrayal to the Romans (as crucifixion was prescribed for traitors).

There was a time that God seemed so far from me, but as Christmas approaches I am reminded that God is not far from each one of us. It is scandalous to think that God, maker of heaven and earth, would limit himself to becoming like us. 

When I share in someone’s pain, I am reminded how deep God’s love is for us. He is not far away, he is not inaccessible, he is in our midst and he calls us to see that by his wounds we are healed. When I partake of someone’s hurts, I know that Jesus (in whom the fullness of God dwells) partook in the worlds hurt so that we might find relief from the wounds we inflect upon one another. 

God is with us. I am reminded, all around me, that though there is much hurt in this world, Jesus is healing the broken heart, present in the broken home, embracing the forsaken, loving the hated, and accepting the rejected. 

God is not far from each one of us. I feel his embrace every day. May you see his works this Christmas season; This one they call “Emmanuel” (God with us).

May the peace of Christ be with you:
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment