Sunday, December 19, 2010

End of the year clearance: take 1

Almost a year ago, my wife gave me a little leather notebook that I could carry around to jot down all of my "epiphanies." The note book is almost full, and the year is almost over, so I decided to start posting what I wrote. Even if it's not profound, I'm just going to throw it out there.

Here's the first thing I wrote: It was in response to a man I had heard sweepingly condemning post-modernity as all that is wrong with our society.

"The assumption is that post-modern thought is bad while a modernist expression of the Christian faith goes unchallenged.
The accusations against post-modernism is that of pluralism, and denial of absolute truth. While pluralism may be an issue in the blending of world religion's (all of which are exclusive in nature), the question is whether or not it is limited to the perspectives that created them.
  • Truth is absolute, but perceptive binds us in acquiring objectivity
  • We parade and champion objectivity to justify our perspective of absolute and objective truth
  • What we come away with is a kind of cultural superiority that makes us look with suspicion at any one who sees it differently."

No comments:

Post a Comment