Monday, November 22, 2010

Racial Reconciliation


Something happened this past weekend that I won’t soon forget. I had the awesome privilege of M.C.ing Biblical Seminaries’ retreat this year. Our speaker, Al Tozin, challenged us all weekend long, speaking about issues of gentrification, urban and suburban ministerial partnerships, current trends in the urban/suburban context, racial reconciliation, and much more. It will take months to unpack all of the dialogue that we shared that weekend.

Dr. Tizon, in speaking about racial reconciliation, challenged us all that in order for the church to be united, apologies and forgiveness’ in the context of relationship must take place. He said it isn’t enough for those of us whose legacy is that of the oppressor to say “I never owned any slaves. I never did anything to those people, why should I have to apologize?” 

There was a time that Dr. Tizon’s words would have been lost on me. But having moved into the city, and being exposed to the injustices that are taking place within a few miles of where Amanda and I have grown up… having met and become a part of a community that we at one time did not understand… having befriended people we otherwise never would have known… and having the contents of our own hearts dramatically revealed… I realized that Dr. Tizon was right. 

Dr. Tizon went on to say, that if our legacy is on the side of the oppressor we must say, “in the name of Jesus Christ, I repent of the sins of my forefathers. Will you forgive me?”

And on the side of those who have had injustices perpetrated against them, the church must respond, “In the name of Jesus Christ, I forgive you.” 

His words cut so deep, my heart began to palpitate. Sunday morning, before our last session began, I made my way to the pulpit one last time to introduce our speaker. There was something however, so heavy on my heart, that if I did not share I would have regretted it for the rest of my life:

“I have spent more years than not believing that I was better than many of the people in this room. I have spent more years than not fearing, and even hating many of you. I am so ashamed of the man that I was, and of the things that I’ve done. I not only repent of the sins of my forefathers, I repent of my own sin. I ask, in the name of Jesus Christ, that you forgive me.” 

Dr. Tizon made his way to the pulpit and said:

“In the name of Jesus Christ, we forgive you Ryan.”

It’s strange, some of the burdens we carry without ever knowing it. I weep if I pause to reflect on this moment for too long. My brothers and sisters, in the midst of their own hurts perpetrated by people like me, embraced and forgave me. I know that many of these brothers and sisters of mine would have loved me even in times when I would have hated them. 

I want you to consider that through many of my younger years I did not think myself to be a racist. My words and my experience may be lost on you, but I challenge you that if you profess to follow Christ that you search your heart for the sin of pride, or the ignorance that induces fear, or perhaps even hatred for those whom you do not know nor understand. Renounce the ways of your forefathers and foremothers. These are your brothers and sisters who were created in the same image that you were, in the image of God.

May God have mercy on us all if we forsake the bride of Christ by rejecting those whom belong to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment