Saturday, September 18, 2010

In my previous post, I was asked for some solutions to the dilemma I presented, that is the dependence on a much too focused expression of Christendom without an appreciation for diversity within the parameters of orthodoxy. Since writing that post I have developed a vision for acting on those convictions. I will not dance around the banner under which my proposition falls; I am clearly speaking about ecumenics. I understand that the term conjures many connotations for people, but as I have researched it and studied its key advocates I have little interest in them or their work. What I am proposing may be similar, but I think it is different. I have taken many notes, and there is an evolution to my thought process. Though the journey is one of complexity (at least within my own mind) it has lead me to a very simple conclusion. If you do not want to read about that journey, just skip to the last paragraph.

I started in traditional fashion, being overwhelmed with a conviction and not having the proper avenue to articulate nor communicate the strength with which it burned inside of me. I claimed the creed of liberals who make most evangelicals uncomfortable: “No tolerance for intolerance”. I thought that the first step was identifying an enemy, and my enemy was those who were opposed to my proposition. No sooner did those words enter my notebook did I realize that declaring an enemy who is in opposition to proposed collaborations is seemingly characteristic of the anti-Christ (that is, annihilating all of those who refuse to accept the peace being preached, not literally of course!). This negates the task itself in proposing that those who are my brothers are my enemy. Though the conviction that many of us are bound by schools of thought that have justified racism, classism, sexism, and apathy is counterproductive, the task is to faithfully administer God’s grace amongst our brethren. By seeking to unite the church through debates would be to fight fire with fire, which in this case would only perpetuate an already unfruitful cycle. This process took about thirty seconds in my mind to reject… now that I have silenced angry Ryan, let us continue.

A few days later, a memory came flooding back which took me to the origins of my faith. I penned these words with those memories in the backdrop of my mind. “It is my conviction that ecumenical collaborations are possible, but they are only possible by the manifestation of the Christian faith through CHRISTIAN SERVICE. Such an example would be REACH work-camps. It was there, especially in August of 2005 that I labored alongside a Catholic woman, who loved Jesus and sought Shalom in his name. Must this movement occur among the intellectuals, the pastors and priest in order for it to be realized? I believe so, but though it may start there, the voices of those who follow and love Christ desire unity far more than the division over doctrines they cannot comprehend. This does not entail the calling of people to lay down their traditions and expressions for an unachievable utopist church, as for now we begin with collaboration… grace… peace… and humility in our approach.”

Those words cannot end there, they need a summation. With this evolution of thought, I have come to these final propositions. The church can be united, and it can be united by laboring together in the name of Jesus Christ in our communities. I have seen it, and I’m not calling for it because it pragmatically makes sense, but because I believe that Jesus has been beckoning for the same thing. We have reduced the gospel to nothing more than pie in the sky, bye and bye… I’ve got my golden ticket out of this world and am going to some future hope to live on a cotton ball and strum a harp in some far off reality that has nothing to do with this decaying world (thank you Jim Ehrman and Dr. Michael Kelly for these images). If this caricature fits your theology, than you read a very slim bible. Currently, it has been my desire to attend as many of the churches in Lancaster city, so as to make the priests and pastors familiar with who I am. My goal is to have all of them convene in my house before 2010 is over, so as to discuss the ways in which we might minister as one body to this city. This is an ambitious and large objective, which I believe should I pursue it alone, will not be accomplished. Let us unite and take heed the words of the Apostle Paul:

“As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.”

It can be done, and though some may desire to squash such ambition with cynicism because of fear, by the grace of God the church, in all of its diversity, might recognize once again her calling.

May the peace of Christ be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment